Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, many more U.S. families can purchase affordable health insurance for children and adults. This is because the ACA offers tax subsidies for private health insurance plans on the marketplace to families with moderate incomes. These tax credits can be used to defray the cost of these plans immediately.
If you need to buy child only health insurance, you should also be relieved to know that all plans also have to conform with the following guidelines:
- Private marketplace plans must provide essential health benefits, and these include doctor’s visits, preventative services, treatment for chronic conditions, and required immunizations.
- Marketplace plans cannot decline any applicants for having pre-existing conditions.
- All qualified plans also offer dental and vision benefits for kids under 19.
- Families with an income of between one hundred and four hundred percent of the federal poverty level, or between $23,850 and $95,400 for a family of four, might qualify for subsidies in the form of federal income tax credits. Families with access to other inexpensive health insurance might not qualify for these subsidies.
- Because of these features, some people will purchase marketplace plans even though they earn too much money to qualify for tax credits.
At Secure Health Options, our professional and experienced health insurance agents want to help you find the best possible medical coverage for you and your entire family. You can compare prices with our free online health insurance quotes or call us for help at any time. If your family qualifies for a health insurance subsidy, you may end up paying less than the quoted price that you see on our website. In any case, we can help you find health insurance for babies, young kids, teens, and adults, and we can even assist you with the enrollment process.
Who Needs Child Only Health Insurance?
Lots of families buy one policy that covers both parents and children, but that is not a requirement. There are many reasons that families need to find health insurance for children only. Some of these reasons include:
- Divorces and court orders might compel a non-custodial parent to buy insurance for kids.
- A parent only has network coverage in different state than the one the child lives in.
- Employer-sponsored medical plans may be too expensive to extend to dependents, and individual insurance costs less.
- Parents lack medical insurance, but they need to buy health insurance for kids because of school or outside activities.
- Parents may not have very good coverage, and they want to provide their kids with more protection.
- Children might have special needs that are not covered by employer-sponsored coverage.
Some expectant parents may also lack coverage. You can buy infant health insurance for your baby. However, you should know that ACA plans also have to cover pregnant women. Typical pregnancies can be very expensive, and any complications can drive the bill up a lot more. Instead of buying infant health insurance, it might be prudent to get the mother insured. That way, her baby will also be covered, and the parents have 30 days to let an insurance company know about the birth.
Assurant Health Insurance Company Provides Health Insurance for Kids
You can buy health insurance for children only, and Assurant Health Insurance provides a variety of plans that cover essential benefits under the ACA. Additionally, these plans are offered in all of the “metal” levels, and this includes Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. The company also offers a catastrophic plan for individuals who want lower premiums.
You can select low deductible and high deductible major medical insurance, and that means that you should be able to tailor a plan to suit your needs and budget. Typically, a low deductible plan means that premiums cost more, but your out-of-pocket expenses should be lower.
Some features and benefits of Assurant plans include:
- Some include prescription and office visit copays, so you do not need to meet your deductible to take advantage of benefits.
- In-network preventative care is covered at 100 percent.
- The emergency room access fee is only $100.
- Some plans are compatible with tax-deductible health savings accounts.
What Type of Health Insurance is Best for Your Kids?
These are some different types of coverages that you should understand if you are comparing health insurance for babies, children, or adults.
- HMO: HMO plans use a network of medical service providers in order to help control costs and make access to medical providers simpler, but they require members to use that network of medical providers for almost all medical services in order to get them covered. Typically, network restrictions are waived for emergencies.
- PPO: These plans also use a network to help control costs, but they will cover non-network medical services too. They just cover out-of-network health services at a lower amount, so they will end up costing more.
- HSA: These are high deductible major medical insurance policies that work with a health savings account that might help earn tax deductions and lower the cost of medical services.
Assurant has a very strong network of doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other medical providers. You will save the most money if you choose to use this network. If you choose a PPO, you can also choose to get covered medical services outside of the network, but you will have to pay more. This type of plan can help you control your medical costs and give you the freedom to choose your doctors and other health providers.
HSA plans are good for people who can use an extra tax deduction because contributions to the savings account may be tax deductible. They work well for people who have the discipline to make regular contributions to the savings account, This money can also be used on some services that major medical does not cover, or to pay bills before the plan deductible has been met. Because deductibles are higher, premiums may be cheaper. Unspent money in the account will roll over from year to year.
When selecting the right medical coverage, you always have to balance your monthly premium against the benefits that your policy provides. We can help you select a plan with an affordable premium that will also cover your child’s medical needs. Families who want to predict and control their medical expenses may want to choose a plan with a greater level of coverage, but families with fairly health kids might save money by choosing a less expensive policy and paying for some minor health services out of their own pockets.
Let Us Help You Find Affordable Health Insurance for Children
At Secure Health Options, our licensed and experienced brokers work with Assurant and other highly-rated health insurance companies to provide the right solution for each of our clients and their families. We hope to help you if you need to buy major medical insurance for yourself, your children, or your entire family.
You can compare prices for individual or family major medical insurance with our free online quotes, and all you need to do to begin shopping is enter your ZIP code. After you research different options, you can contact us to ask questions or get help enrolling. We will work hard to find you the right coverage at a budget-friendly premium.